Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Avraham Avinu On The “What If She Doesn’t Want Aliyah?” Question

(Aryeh Kaplan’s ZT”L translation below from "The Living Torah" - page 103.)

(Bereshis 24:1-4)
Abraham was old, well advanced in years, and G-d had blessed Abraham with everything. He said to the senior servant of his household, who was in charge of all that he owned, 'Place your hand under my thigh. I will bind you by an oath to G-d, L-rd of heaven and earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites among whom I live. Instead, you must go to my native land, to my birthplace, and obtain a wife for my son Isaac.'

Eliezer pops the famous question...
(Bereshis 24:5)
'But what if the girl does not want to come back with me to this land?' asked the servant. 'Shall I bring your son back to the land that you left?'

Avraham’s clear cut response:
(Bereshis 24:6-8)
Be most careful in this respect,' replied Abraham. 'Do not bring my son back there! G-d, the L-rd of heaven, took me away from my father's house and the land of my birth. He spoke to me and made an oath. 'To your offspring I will give this land.' He will send His angel before you, and you will indeed find a wife there for my son. If the girl does not want to come back with you, then you shall be absolved of my oath. But [no matter what,] do not bring my son back there!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home